My first finished project for Kids Clothes Week is completed! With warmer weather here, at least on SOME days, I’ve been planning Pen’s summer wardrobe. Since babies + rompers = win, there will definitely be plenty of rompers. Including this one that I hacked together from two Shwin patterns.
For the bodice I used Shwin’s FREE A Summer Tunic pattern. The pattern comes in one size, 12-18 months, but should be easy enough to scale for other sizes. Even though Pen is still in the 6-12 month range I printed the pattern at full size since I’d like the romper to still fit once it is officially summer. I added elastic in casings to the straps and shorted the back elastic slightly in order to make the romper a little more fitted on Pen.
For the romper portion I used the bloomers pattern from Shwin’s Baby Basics collection. I used the pattern because I already owned it and had the bloomers cut for another project but if you are looking to double the FREE there is a tutorial on drafting the bottom of a bubble romper at Shwin & Shwin. Instead of following the casing instructions in from the tutorial for the tunic I doubled the casing piece, added the elastic, and attached the completed bodice to the bloomers. Next time I think I’ll add 1/2″ to the bodice length for wiggle room because sewing without catching the 3/4″ elastic was tricky. Edit: After watching Pen play in the romper all morning I think I’d also add 2-3″ to the length of the bloomers in order to give more length for growing. My kids tends to get longer not wider. 😉
For the fabric I used the leftovers from the Boppy cover I made when I was still pregnant with Pen last spring. One of my favorite Disney moves is The Aristocats so I was instantly enamored with the “London Cats Three ‘o Clock Tea” print when I originally saw it. Besides the KCW theme this season being “wild things” the current CraftingCon theme is Disney and as a result I’ve both had animals AND Disney on my mind all month long. Of course if Pen gets a special cat themed summer romper that only fitting accessory would be a classy cat eared bonnet to protect her little head from the sun’s rays.
For the summer bonnet I used a FREE pattern from The Purl Bee. I cut the biggest size because I wanted it to fit Pen’s head all summer. The ears are just triangle inserted at the stage where you assemble the exterior, lining, and brim together.