Yesterday, while completing the last batch of sheets for Pen’s Nook, Seb came up to me and requested that I’m make him an Aquabats shirt. With two weeks before Pen’s arrival I’ve been devoting my spare time to other non-crafty preparations but I could not resist Seb’s sweet little request. Laundry can be folded later!
Originally The Aquabats were a campy ska band from the mid-90’s who then reinvented themselves to be a campy rock band in the 00’s and now they have a very campy tv show, The Aquabats! Super Show!. The reoccurring theme is the fact that they are not just any band but a band of SUPERHEROS! Good thing Seb is not that great at math because he’d probably think I’m really old for remembering The Aquabats from way back in the 90’s. Yep.
For the applique I printed a copy of the logo I found on the internet and made multiple templates for each “part”. After applying Heatbond Lite to the back of a white and a black felt square, I traced the template, cut out the pieces and after ironing the layers to the front of the shirt, I top stitched to make everything extra secure. Since I was making the shirt from scratch I did this step before assembling the shirt.
Yet again I used See Kate Sew’s Recess Raglan pattern for the shirt. I’ve sewn with this pattern enough times now that both cutting and assembly of the shirt itself seriously took me less than 20 minutes! Since I was up-cycling an XL men’s t-shirt that I thrifted for a whopping .49, I chose to take advantage of the pre-existing hems. Not needing to hem the bottom or sleeves I’m sure saved me quite a bit of time. Especially since I loathe hemming and tend drag my feet like a teenager forced to mow the lawn.
Of course Aquaseb was THRILLED to wear his new shirt to school today!