It’s funny how projects can evolve. Originally I had planned on a different fabric for the cape lining and a hood on the raglan. As I was looking looking through my stash for the lining fabric I stumbled upon the colorful number I ended up using and thought it went well with the colors I would be using for the shirt. The fabric was given to me by a friend during a fabric swap and had been sitting waiting for the perfect project.
The front of the cape is a red knit ($2.99 for about 2 yards worth) that I thrifted when I was out looking for extra odds ‘n ends to use in Seb’s costumes. I think the knit combined with the quilters cotton lining gives the right amount of weight and swish. Which is what I think a cape needs!
I used a free pattern from Thread Riding Hood for the cape. Determined to cut the pieces while Seb was napping and unable to measure him I just did not feel confident enough to wing it. The cape turned out great and was easy peasy with a pattern not needing to be drafted by me.
For the super shirt I used materials salvaged from adult shirts and scraps. The yellow stripe I obtained from a women’s t-shirt that I picked up at a thrift store for .99 and the rest was already in my stash. That brings my out of pocket expenses to just over $4 for this project.
Another change from my mental plans was skipping the mask. I think masks are pretty cool but as I worked on the other pieces I realized that any mask would be worn by Seb for about 15 seconds before ripping it off. Such are the whims of a 3 1/2 year-old.